Camp Journey starts

TUESDAY 5TH 2011
This is supposed to be the camp official opening day. Anyway since I've started my registration I had less to do.  But it was not so for people who came late or will just be coming today.
So people who had not done their registration woke up very early around 3am to start taking their baths and the likes. My side bunky woke me up around 3.59 am. We went to take our baths and after dressing up we left the dorm or hostel around 5am to continue our registration.
I was suprised to find a lot of people out this time, some were sleeping outside. By 11am, I was through with my registration and I became an otondo officially. I was now free to move around and meet old and new friends. I met graduates from my school. After walkabout i was tired so i went to sleep. NYSC arranged gari and okro for us for dinner.  




The end of day two.
WEDNESDAY 6TH JULY, 2011
I woke up as usual by my bunkie Kemi around 4am. Had my bath and dressed up. Relaxed and went out when the whistle was blown by the officers. The whistle was blown by 5.00 am and all the otondos came out.
We all went out to the parade ground where we were welcomed by the P.R.O 1 who introduced himself and also taught us the NYSC anthem and motivated us through inspiration talk. There was call for prayer from a muslim and a Christian. The NYSC anthem and the National anthem was rendered and there and then the actual meaning of the national anthem dawned on me- I am now a PATRIOT of my father land Nigeria(that’s cool).
We were later addressed by the Camp Director and the Camp |Commandant who welcomed us once again and gave us instructions on how to behave on camp.
The schedule for the day was as the rehearsal for the swearing in ceremony taking place on July 6th 2011. We were asked to go to our various plantoons and I happen to be in plantoon 5 the only alive platoon on camp (no offence meant).

In my platoon the drilling was rigorous and tedious as I’m not used to such. I had to listen to the soldier and to always “obey the last command”. The part I enjoyed most in the dril is the removal of headdresses i.e caps. The command goes like this;
” parade will remove haidressing”
Remove  haidressing”
3 hearty cheers to the Governor of Bayelsa state
His Excellency Chief Timipre Sylva
{Hip! Hip!! Hip!!!
HURRAY}(at the hurray everybody raise their cap)
We replace headdresses
Replace headdresses
(drum beats)………….
The drill was long and repeated thruout the day. We only had meal interval. The day was fun anyway and also made new friends in my platoon.

At the end of the final drill on my way saw a poster about recruitment of OBS crew. So I went to the studio to make enquiries . on getting there I met people registering their names to signify their interest. Well lest I forget OBS means Orientation Broadcasting Service- it’s the media house on camp, so I asked the people in charge how I can fit in. I was told I could serve as part of the technical crew hence I also registered my interest. We were told to come back later in the evening. I went there and met prospective OBS members, the Editor, deputy Editor, Technical director and his assistant. The Editor Adekanye Temidayo gave us a brief introduction and made us to realize the enormosity of the work in front of us. She told us that as a member of the OBS we will be very busy, we will have to come out early, go in late, skip meals, work hard, write articles, reports, news (irrespective of the unit)etc.

All this did not stop people like me and others who are ready who are ready to give it their best try. So the people present were given first work to do for the swearing in day- we were divided into units. We have
·         Protocols
·         Programmes
·         Technical
I was chosen among technical crew and were told to come out very early on the swearing in day. We were given temporary OBS tags. I went back home that day as a temporary OBS member.

THURSDAY 7TH 2011
The swearing in day
I woke up as usual by my bunkie Kemi around 4am. Had my bath and dressed up. I went out before the whistle was blown by the officers so as to meet up in my new “job” (OBS crew). The equipment was taken out and set in motion for the programme to take place. Also the chairs and tables were arranged in their proper place. All this was done before others came out.
The whistle was blown as usual and all the otondos came out. The P.R.O 1 congratulated us once again on the successful completion of our studies and being able to qualify for NYSC. For criteria for qualification for NYSC you can check www.bayelkopa.com
 There was call for prayer from a muslim and a Christian. The NYSC anthem and the National anthem were rendered.
After all the opening formalties we were discharged to go and prepare for the programme. I quickly went and took my breakfast so that I could will be stationed at my post(we were told to resume one hour before the programme which is 9am and I tried). 
We waited for some time before the arrival of dignitaries. the chief judge of the state swore us in and there and large I became a full fledged otondo.


So many events happened on camp which I may not be able to write all here cos am starting this blog late but I can tell you that the camp was fun and interesting.

Anyway, anytime I remember camp stories I'll add it. ok?

You can also send me camp stories and have it published or your life as a corper.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Congratulations on Your Swearing in Ceremony as 2013 Batch B Corps members

Individual/Personal Cds project

How to collect a new posting letter in case of Rejection